Today is the final day of my fast. I have decided to call it quits and start introducing food again tomorrow. Why you may ask? Especially as 21 days REALLY isn’t that far away. Well, a few things.
Firstly, I checked in with myself (and also had an incredible friend check in with me too) and discovered that my fasting over the past few days had become about losing weight. Yes, I’ve lost a shit tonne of weight in such a short time but that wasn’t the reason for starting this journey. And based on my habits in the past, I felt it was repeating old mistakes to continue to use the water fast as a weight loss tool.
Secondly, when I ‘broke’ my fast yesterday with having a date, I had no idea that Muslim’s often use dates to break their fast. Of ALL the food in my house, I chose to have a date. Perhaps a sign that my body wanted to finish?
Thirdly, this message that I got on my phone today from Danielle LaPorte’s #Truthbomb app (http://www.daniellelaporte.com/truthbomb/). “Your body knows before your mind does.” Well, if that isn’t a sign the Universe is sending me to start eating again, I don’t know what is!
Fourthly, when I thought about starting to introduce food again I feel an incredible lightness of mind and body. I felt happy. I felt energised and I felt it was the right thing to do. It really was true that my body knew what was right and my mind just had to catch up.
I am finally feeling incredibly proud of myself for getting to 17 days. It still blows my mind! 17-frickin-days!? Sure it’s not 21, but hey. I didn’t think I’d make it to 5!
Some things that I have noticed during the fast:
- Although I didn’t have the energy that a lot of people report, I had an incredible clarity of mind.
- My sense of smell has gone through the roof as well as my sense of taste (I had a couple of sips of coffee today and I could taste chlorine?! Tipped it down the sink.)
- My teeth are whiter
- My hair is a lot more shiny
- My leg cramps cleared up eventually, although I don’t regret taking potassium and magnesium for a few days
- When I wake up, I’m awake and feel a lot more refreshed
- I have less need for nanna naps in the afternoon
- I don’t miss food. I miss the social aspect of food.
- Because of my clarity, I didn’t trip over my words as much.
- I got very clear signals from my body when it was actually tired
- I don’t have stretch marks! You’d think I would after all the weight I’ve released. But nada.
- Not that much change in my skin, but I’m blessed with pretty good skin in the first place.
- I CAN FRICKING DO IT!!
So tomorrow I’ll jump on the scales to report, take my measurements and re-take my blood tests. I’m extremely curious about these and to see what has changed since nearly 3 weeks ago. I’ll put it all up in the ‘Stats & Progress’ section. I will also be posting about my adventures re-feeding myself. Sure is going to be interesting times!